We’ve all heard that doing resistance work is beneficial, whether it’s using weights, resistance bands or our own bodies.
But what parts of the body does it help?
1. Bones: Resistance exercise helps to build strong bones and with great bone density we can avoid weakened bones and osteoporosis.
2. Heart: Improved heart health comes from including weights or resistance work into your exercise program.
3. Posture: Especially when we work on areas such as core, back and upper body we build strength which in turn improves body alignment and confidence.
4. Muscles: Maintaining muscle mass is crucial as we get older so strength or resistance work 2-3 times per week is necessary. After the age of 30 we lose 3-5% of lean muscle per year, just through ageing.
5. Metabolism: Muscles burn calories even when resting so increasing your muscle ratio will increase your metabolism, making weight loss or maintenance easier.