Serves 4 – 6
• ½ cup low salt (sodium) tamari (or soy sauce, if not gluten-free)
• 1 tbsp. rice wine (mirin)
• 1 tbsp. maple syrup
• 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (depending on how much garlic you like)
• 2-3cm ginger, finely grated
• 2 tbsp. sesame oil
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 500g turkey mince
• 2 cups broccoli florets
• 1 red capsicum, halved, seeded and
• cut into 1cm strips
• 1 cup carrot, peeled and julienned
• 1 cup corn kernels
• 1 cup snow peas, thickly sliced
• 1 ½ cup shredded red cabbage
• 1 ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
• ½ – 1 cup cooked rice, quinoa or rice noodles (per person)
• Combine the soy sauce, rice wine, maple syrup, garlic, ginger and 1 tbsp. of sesame oil in bowl and set aside.
• Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a wok on medium – high heat. Add turkey mince and cook until browned. Remove from wok and place in bowl.
• Return wok to stove and add 2 tbsp. water and the vegetables. Turn the heat up high. “Steam-fry” for about 5 minutes until vegetables are slightly softened, but not limp and the water has evaporated from the wok.
• Return the turkey mince to the wok, pour marinade (or sauce) over the mince and vegetables and cook, stirring gently for about 5 or so minutes until broccoli and carrots have cooked to your preference (I like my vegetables on the firm side) and turkey mince is cooked through.
• Serve immediately over brown rice, quinoa or rice noodles that have been prepared as per packet directions.
Not Only Delicious, But Also Nutritious Because:
• Like lean beef, turkey is a valuable source of complete protein which aids in the repair and building of the body’s tissues as well as contributing to maintaining a healthy immune system.
• Broccoli is a good source of B vitamins (energy metabolism), vitamin K (bone health and injury management), calcium (bones and muscle function), magnesium (nervous system function), potassium (muscle function, water balance, blood pressure management), phosphorus (helps maintain strong bones, needed for cognitive function, energy metabolism) and manganese (supports bone health, supports lung and respiratory function).
Recipe from The Balanced Body Australia.